Friday, March 02, 2007

CrunchGear’s Best of 2006

Here are my favorites from CrunchGear's Best of 2006 list, just thought I'd share them. I hope the pictures show up, if not you should anyways check out the whole list and remember the prices of some of these babies have gone down a bit these last 2 months. Click here to check out the whole list.


CrunchGear’s editors searched far and wide for the best gadgets of 2006. We’ve included devices from our own pages and some things we picked up over the year that made us smile. Read on for everything we loved this year.



T-Mobile Sidekick 3
$249

This has become THE communication device to have in 2006. I remember getting a review unit in before the launch date and having mobs of people come up to me while using it around Philly. It’s packed with a great e-mail and IM client, a web browser, an interchangeable battery, MP3 player, Bluetooth, and an overall better UI than its predecessor. All these features and a more refined design are what make the Sidekick 3 such a great gadget to have with you at all times.-VV


Apple iPod 5G
starting at $249

I originally picked up an iPod Nano this summer and before I even got home, decided it wasn’t big enough for me. Now with my expanding 60GB+ music collection, this 30GB 5G iPod does just the trick. I love how I can now watch my favorite video podcasts like Diggnation and Rocketboom on the subway, shuffle through my music easily with Apple’s click wheel, and get games off the iTunes Music Store.

I’m really addicted to Cubis 2 and Tetris. The screen is awesome compared to previous models. Video and photos look absolutely fantastic. Between the release of the 5G iPod, iTunes 7, and additions to the iTunes Music Store, this is the best possible times to be an iPod owner.-VV



BlackBerry Pearl
$199

This is the first smartphone that I was really, really happy with. I’m rather vain and typically shun anything that ruins my profile, so thick-faced Treos and older ‘berrys were no-nos. And while the Q and its Windows Mobile kin may be super-thin, that damn OS makes me want to stab people (they should just build a proper game pad into them and admit the only thing they’re good for is playing NES emulators.) The Pearl really did it all—super-intuitive interface, RAZR-thin profile, incredibly easy email support, none of the random freezing and frying that makes WM5 so headache-inducing. And, T-Mobile (and now Cingular, I suppose) offers data plans at a gazillionth the price of Verizon’s bank account-frying contract needed for the Q. -SP



Apple MacBook
from $1099

I’m no Apple fanboy, I’m actually quite the opposite. Seeing as how I’m a daily gamer, I have built and owned PCs my whole life. Sadly for me, the industry standard sound engineering software is first developed for a Mac and then ported over to PC. Programs like Pro Tools, Apple Pro Logic 7, Digital Performer and Reason are just easier to work with on a Mac. Especially when using OS X’s dashboard and expose options.

I bought all the software and a brand new Apple MacBook. The 13-inch white MacBook not only runs my programs well, but I really love OS X. I’ve had my share of problems with it (optical disc failure, iSight failure) but I still love it. My MacBook is with me wherever I go. The one gripe I have with the MacBook is the fact that the keyboard isn’t backlit, a feature only MacBook Pro owners get to enjoy. Oh well, I don’t mind it, the MacBooks are way cooler looking. -RP



iPod Shuffle 2G
$79

When we first received news of the new Shuffle from Apple during the Showtime event, we were a little “meh” about it. It still had no screen or Clickwheel. Sure, it clipped onto a pocket or piercing, but really, we though, what’s the big deal?

Then we got to see one up close and personal-like. Sometimes a gadget has an unquantifiable and intangible attractiveness to it, something that shouldn’t be sexy but somehow is. If you haven’t seen one for yourself, do us all a favor and check it out. It’s not for everyone, sure, but it’s damn sweet for those it is. -MH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need everything on this list